Professor Chang received his Ph.D. in modern Chinese history from the University of California, San Diego in 2011, his M.A. in East Asian studies from Stanford University in 2006, and his B.A. in economics and international studies from the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor in 1998. Prior to joining HKUST, he was a postdoctoral fellow at the Center for East Asian Studies, Stanford University.
POW studies as social, political, and military history; Cold War international history; China-Burma-India Theatre in WWII; wartime education and migration (1930s-1940s); history of Sino-U.S. relations; elections and constitutionalism in modern China.
Hijacked War: The Korean War over Chinese Prisoners (Stanford University Press, forthcoming 2018)
Peer-Reviewed Articles and Book Chapters
- 2016.〈「新中國」的叛逃者：韓戰反共戰俘的生死逃亡路，1950–1954〉 [Defectors of the New China: The Perilous Escapes of Anti-Communist Prisoners in the Korean War]. Hanxue Yanjiu 漢學研究 [Chinese Studies] 34, no. 2: 245–280.
- 2013.〈韓戰戰俘、「反共義士」張一夫先生訪問記錄〉 [Oral History of Korean War Prisoner Zhang Yifu], interviewed by David C. CHANG, edited by David C. CHANG and Kang LI. Koushu Lishi 口述歷史 [Oral History] vol. 13. Taipei: Institute of Modern History, Academia Sinica (November): 121–152.
- 2010. “Democracy Is in Its Details: The 1909 Provincial Assembly Elections and the Print Media.” In China on the Margins, edited by Sherman Cochran and Paul G. Pickowicz, 195–220. Ithaca, NY: Cornell East Asia Series.
- 2015. Review of Barbara Mittler, A Continuous Revolution: Making Sense of Cultural Revolution Culture. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Asia Center, 2012. 中央研究院近代史研究所集刊 [The Bulletin of the Institute of Modern History, Academia Sinica] 88 (June 2015): 239-–53.
- 2014. Review of Hsiao-ting Lin, “U.S.-Taiwan Military Diplomacy Revisited: Chiang Kai-shek, Baituan, and the 1954 Mutual Defense Pact,” Diplomatic History 37:5 (November 2013 ): 971-994. H-Diplo, H-Net Reviews, June 27, 2014. URL: http://h-diplo.org/reviews/PDF/AR468.pdf
- 2008a. Review of Gao Hua 高華, Hongtaiyang shi zenyang shengqi de 紅太陽是怎樣升起的: 延安整風運動的來龍去脈 [How the Red Sun rose in Yan’an] (2000). China Review International 15, no. 4: 515–521.
- 2008b. Review of Mao Haijian 茅海建, Tianchao de bengkui 天朝的崩潰: 鴉片戰爭再研究 [The collapse of the Celestial Empire: A reanalysis of the Opium War](1995). China Review International 15: no. 4: 533–538.
- 2017. “U.S. Psychological Warfare on Korean War Prisoners: From policymaking in Washington to implementation on Koje Island,” in 열전 속 냉전, 냉전 속 열전: 냉전 아시아의 사상심리전 Yeoljeon sok naengjeon, naengjeon sok yeoljeon: naengjeonasiaui sasangsimrijeon [Cold War in Hot War, Hot War in Cold War: Cold War and Thought-Psychological Warfare in Asia], edited by Paek Won Dam and Kang Sung Hyun, 223–250. Seoul: Jininjin Press.
- 2012.〈樸素而深刻，率直卻入微〉 [Simple and Profound, Straightforward and Subtle]. In 史家高華[Historian Gao Hua]. Eds. Xiong Jingming 熊景明and Xu Xiao 徐曉, 2–9. Hong Kong: The Chinese University Press.
- 2005.〈選舉提名方式的改革〉 [Reform of Election Nomination Procedures]. In 中國選舉制度改革 [Reform of the Electoral System in China], edited by Li Fan 李凡, 136–160. Shanghai: Shanghai Jiaotong University Press.
- 2004.〈2003年北京市區縣級人大代表競選的過程和問題〉[Processes and Issues in County-Level People’s Deputies Election in Beijing, 2003]. In 2003年中國基層民主發展報告 [2003 Annual Report on the Development of Grassroots Democracy in China], edited by Li Fan 李凡, 124–138. Beijing: China Law Press.